Re: [Chicken-users] multilingual fowl

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] multilingual fowl
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:32:04 -0500

At Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:04:52 +0200, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

> Wouldn't string=? and string-ci=? have to be treated specially
> as well?

Not if we use native strings.  If you want full Unicode-aware case
folding then string-ci=? would need to be overridden, but R5RS is
sufficiently vague that you could leave it as only ASCII and still be
compliant.  I have implemented a full string-ci=? for Gauche, but it's
sufficiently large and slow that we wouldn't want it to be the
default anyway.

If you further want string comparisons to handle de-normalizations
then you might want to override string=? as well, but I think it's
best to ignore that for now.  When/if we get around to this it may
make more sense to implicitly keep all strings in the same
normalization form so that you don't have to worry about it for
procedures like string comparisons.

--
Alex