Re: [Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] an ode to Spiffy
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:36:50 +0100

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:54:26AM -0400, Michele Simionato wrote:
>As most people, I usually post to the mailing list when I get in
>trouble on when I have something to complain about. However, this does
>not mean that I am always unhappy with Chicken. So, just for love of
>equity, I have decided this time to write a support message for Spiffy.
>Great job, Felix! :-) Spiffy works pretty nice, in a morning I think I
>have got most of it without big issues (or maybe I am so happy only
>because it is so much better of http-server ;). I can run spiffy in a
>separate thread, add resources from the REPL, see what happens in real
>time,  correct the errors and use the interpreter for anything else,
>all without restarting the server.  A few things are missing  (for
>instance form validation) but I can implement it in minutes with a nice
>macro in a completely interactive way. Plus, I like SXML at least as
>much as I hate HTML :) I think I will write a small tutorial about how
>to use Spiffy for writing simple Web interfaces, which is the thing I
>am interested in, since I want to use Scheme to do fast prototyping of
>Web applications. Scheme is *extremely* suitable for this job, it sad
>that most people don't realize that because of Scheme general attitude
>to discourage users making things harder than needed (Chicken is maybe
>an exception to this general rule, since Felix clearly shows some
>concerns for usability and practicality).

I'm sure you've read what Paul Graham has to say after using Lisp
(almost as nice as Scheme :-) for web applications in ViaWeb?

/M

address@hidden
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Crypto is not mathematics, but crypto can be highly mathematical,
crypto can use mathematics, but good crypto can be done without a
great reliance on complex mathematics.
      -- W T Shaw