Re: [Chicken-users] Standard APIs for databases, Web-apps

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Standard APIs for databases, Web-apps
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:16:30 -0800

Graham Fawcett wrote:
I'd like to open discussion about introducing two formal APIs for use
in the development of future Chicken eggs: a standard API for
accessing relational databases, and a standard API for connecting Web
frameworks/applications to HTTP servers or *CGI gateways.

I really have no stake in the issue. I'm a 3D / AI / game programmer, and not generally interested in databases or web stuff. My comments are only about implementing "standards." In open source, standards become such only in hindsight. Things have to get implemented and then used. Different people often provide different implementations and APIs for the same class of problem; there's a "Survival Of The Fittest" dynamic at work here. So I would suggest, don't worry about standards. Just implement whatever API you want, and get other people to help out / use it. If you and your crew get enough oomph behind it, then maybe someday it'll be a de facto standard.

Still, I'll be honest, I have a hard time seeing that happening for *any* Chicken egg. It may be "standard for Chicken" but I'm not convinced Chicken has a large enough user community to ever create broader standards. Python has tons more people than Chicken, it is much much farther along in its tools and community evolution than Chicken is. Never mind Java. Meanwhile, each Scheme implementation is a right unto itself, the playing field is very fragmented.

Writing a binding for an extant, bona fide standard might be a more profitable course to pursue. The downside is that popular programming standards are never written with a Scheme mindset. So then you ask yourself, am I going to make a low level binding, or am I going to do a lot of value add in Scheme? If you do the latter, then you don't really have a standard anymore. For instance, in my case the tension is between producing an OpenGL 2.0 binding and a 3D engine. They're different goals that please different crowds.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every