Re: [Chicken-users] purpose of dynamic Chicken libraries?

From: John
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] purpose of dynamic Chicken libraries?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:44:32 -0500

Don't most extensions compile to dynamic libraries? Being able to do a require-extension in csi is pretty handy.

-- John

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
For what purposes are dynamic Chicken libraries really essential? Right now I'm winning; my -DPIC problems were merely a typo in a define. But, building dynamic libraries is definitely a source of complication and maintenance difficulty. An associate who offered to help me out, suggested that I just drop it, that it's pointless in the scheme of things. I replied that I didn't know enough about how people use Chicken to make that decision. So, I am asking you, how / why do you use dynamic libraries? If you didn't have them available, how would that impact you?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every