Re: [Chicken-users] Re: https

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: https
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:26:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, DaishiKato wrote:

[...]
Alright.
So, here is my patch.
Three notes:
- I wonder if (ensure-local-connections) is a good way;
 since threads are chaper than connections, shouldn't we
 reuse connection among threads?

Hello,

I do think it is a good idea. If you don't do it this way, you have to apply extensive mutex locking, which will likely kill any speed advantage of the connection pooling should you really make heavy use of http transfers in multiple threads. If you use neither seperate pools nor locking, you will end up with multiple threads writing their requests to the connection at the same time, resulting in a complete mess.

- My rough test shows some delay with keep-alive connections;
 somehow (read-string) is slow with the length specified.
 What's the problem?
- In order to support persistent connection, the support of
 Transfer-Encoding: chunked
 would be required;
 but I didn't come up with a nice implementation idea for http:GET.
 Any comments?

Currently I can't think of anything helpful on these two points.

[...]

cu,
Thomas