Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:12:31 -0700

Well I see the idea of calling a web framework an OS is not new:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/web2explorer/?p=166

Somebody states the obvious, that DHTML + Javascript isn't very nice
and wouldn't it be great if we could start over.  I've been thinking
for a while that Scheme could be the universal language for such
things - you could describe the page and write the scripting to make
it dynamic, and write the server-side code, in the same language.
Hopefully by using higher-level abstractions that gloss over the fact
that it's a distributed application.  This is what I ultimately want
to accomplish.  I want the same app to run on a single machine, or as
a web app on a legacy browser, or on a new kind of browser that is all
Scheme, without having to rewrite the app.  So are these the kinds of
goals you have in Askemos too?  It doesn't seem well-defined enough,
and more concerned with being secure and tamper-proof, whereas I would
be glad to achieve usefulness first, and worry about security later.

A side project is how to get rid of the parentheses so that ordinary
people can tolerate writing Scheme.  :-)  I think it's just a matter
of writing a really awesome editor that understands a lot of common
constructs and displays them appropriately.  It should look something
like MathCAD but have graphical representations for every concept used
in programming, not just math expressions.   You would edit the lists
in memory directly, and the textual syntax is only the output when you
save it to a file.

Rscheme sounds interesting in that it has object persistence already.
Can you trust it?  Can you be sure that data will not be lost to
obscurity because it's in some platform-specific binary form?  Can you
trust it not to change in incompatible ways so that your data is lost?
 These are the reasons I think maybe a human-readable S-expression
form is good for persistence.  And leverage the filesystem to do some
of the indexing work (e.g. use a lot of files rather than one big
file, laid out into a tree that makes sense.  Just in case the code
has to be re-written some day.)

Otherwise there are some other object databases that are not
Scheme-specific (Goods, and the Zope one for example).