Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:13:24 -0700

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
Well I see the idea of calling a web framework an OS is not new:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/web2explorer/?p=166

Somebody states the obvious, that DHTML + Javascript isn't very nice
and wouldn't it be great if we could start over.  I've been thinking
for a while that Scheme could be the universal language for such
things -
Anything could be. Jeez look at C++. This kind of problem is about creating critical mass. It's more a marketing than a technical problem.

A side project is how to get rid of the parentheses so that ordinary
people can tolerate writing Scheme.  :-)  I think it's just a matter
of writing a really awesome editor that understands a lot of common
constructs and displays them appropriately.  It should look something
like MathCAD but have graphical representations for every concept used
in programming, not just math expressions.   You would edit the lists
in memory directly, and the textual syntax is only the output when you
save it to a file.
Don't waste time on this. The reason people don't use Scheme, is success hasn't bred success. If you had a Scheme On Rails, or some other killer app that was really industrial strength and saved a lot of users a significant amount of work, people would stop bitching and moaning about parentheses. You'd be better off doing less technical projects and more human organizational projects. Get people together to create an important Scheme app.

Unfortunately, web stuff completely bores me and I have no time anyways. I've made the overtures about game stuff several times here. Nobody has bitten. I don't really expect them to. The real problem is not parentheses. It's critical mass and compelling apps.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every