Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:53:57 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 26.04.2006, 08:12 +0200 schrieb felix winkelmann:
> On 4/25/06, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Another idea I had is if Scheme people could agree on an ideal VM
> > implementation (like Java or C# has), and an efficient portable binary
> > data format, then binary transport (like RMI in Java) and binary
> > serialization to files would be more trustworthy.
>
> There is no such thing as an ideal VM, unfortunately.
>
> (and I don't think we need one - let Scheme be the VM)

Scheme is pretty good as an _abstract_ VM (as opposed to a concrete and
never will be ideal VM).  That's why I eventually settled on it for the
Askemos project.

IMHO the trick is to put the effort into serialiser/parser pairs mapping
from "lingua franka" to binary.  Same plattforms may negotiate on binary
formats, while plattform changes pay the cost of translation for
compatibility.  None is locked out.