Re: [q-lang-users] [Chicken-users] Re: IEEE float arithmetic

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [q-lang-users] [Chicken-users] Re: IEEE float arithmetic
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:49:34 -0400

Albert Graef scripsit:

> But you want the code at least not to do any harm on systems with _no_
> IEEE floats. I'm not sure, but couldn't dividing by 0.0 on such systems
> kill your program with SIGFPE?

I don't know.  I've never done serious floating-point work that
had to run on a non-IEEE system (everything I did on a PDP-8, PDP-11,
or pre-IEEE VAX was pretty much either integer-only or floats-as-integers,
as in most Basics).

> Another point is that division is a much more costly operation than
> adding and subtracting.

> BTW, should I cc the Chicken list in this thread?

Might as well, though your postings might or might not go through.

That you can cover for the plentiful            John Cowan
and often gaping errors, misconstruals,
and disinformation in your posts                address@hidden
through sheer volume -- that is another
misconception.  --Mike to Peter