Re: [Chicken-users] csi problem - errors buffered?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] csi problem - errors buffered?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 02:43:49 -0700

Ian Oversby wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a MinGW build of chicken on Windows. I'm running csi -:c from within emacs/quack. It seems that errors are being buffered. If I enter a command like (+ 1 2), I get the answer back immediately. If I enter (+ a b) it displays me another prompt without displaying the error. Running csi -:c from the command prompt has a similar problem, but exiting the interpreter
with (exit) causes all the missing errors to be displayed as it exits.

The version of chicken I am running is version 2, build 324. I used the CMake
build for MinGW and MSYS created with CMake 2.4.2.

Given that an inability to handle "csi -R srfi-1" was previously reported, I expect there are problems with the CMake build of csi. At present I don't have solutions, as the problems are beyond my current knowledge. The problems can be fixed more quickly by other people digging into the sources and trying to resolve these bugs, or more slowly if people wait for me to go up the learning curve associated with each and every one of them. My bugfixing priorities are always towards the things that are easiest for me personally to implement. At present, that's getting the CMake build to be fully tarball capable. Yes it'll be a buggy tarball and then the bugfixing priorities will change, but I know how to crank out CMake code, not Chicken MinGW MSYS bugfixes. I think the beauty of open source is that people have different kinds of expertise and can combine their resources.

I suspect there could still be quoting problems in the CMake build. I tried to resolve them, and I got it so that things would build, but I really didn't try to understand how the quotes were being used at various stages. It's awfully confusing and a real chore. More eyeballs on the problem wouldn't hurt, especially if there's a quoting guru in the house.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every