Re: [Chicken-users] RFC: documentation lookup utility

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RFC: documentation lookup utility
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:31:19 -0500

> Is there any existing document with sufficient metadata as to give
> me a way to machine-generate the index of all of Chicken's
> functions? If not, I expect I will spend a little time manually
> generating this sort of data; it may be beneficial to embed it in
> the existing manual (sexprs in HTML comments?) or otherwise (a) make
> it generally available and (b) keep it up-to-date.

I think currently we can't build the index from the info in the wiki
as it is.  However, we could certainly make it possible to "enrich"
the wiki pages, extending their format to make it reflects the
semantics of the documents more closely, to make it possible to build
the index directly from them.

I think the way we would do this would be with a svnwiki extension.
They way it would work would be that in the wiki pages we would use
some tags such as /definition/ in:

> == foobar
>
> <definition name="foobar"/>
>
> <enscript highlight=scheme>(foobar baz)</enscript>

The svnwiki extension would probably map the "definition" tag to some
"lower level" wiki construct (such as "<a name='foobar'/>").  And your
parser could just look for "definition" tags as the one above
(directly in the wiki sources) and record the pages they occur in,
perhaps warning us if a given definition occurs in multiple locations.
When your code is given a word to look it up, it could look it up in
your index/db and redirect the browser to the page from the wiki it
occured in (with the #word anchor).  And if the word does not
correspond to any definition, your code could just redirect the
browser to the wiki search URL such as:

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8080/cgi-bin/svnwiki/default/?action=search&q=print

Of course, that means it would be good to import SRFIs and R5RS into
the wiki and mark all definitions ...

Does this make sense to you?

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/