Re: [Chicken-users] CMake chicken-setup fails on MinGW and MSVC

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake chicken-setup fails on MinGW and MSVC
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:00:37 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> The platform specific behavior is in library.scm, buried as a primitive:
>

> (define ##sys#pathname-directory-separator
>  (let ([st (software-type)])
>    (if (and (eq? 'windows st) (not (eq? (build-platform) 'cygwin)))
>    #\\
>    #\/) ) )
>

> This is wrong for a URL.  I haven't exactly figured it out, but it
> appears that make-pathname is being used for URL construction, which
> ultimately ends up with system-specific behavior when it shouldn't.

IMHO the Right Thing is to use "/" as the pathname directory separator
in all circumstances.  The Windows kernel has accepted both "/" and "\"
as separators since the dark days of DOS 2.0.  It's true that standard
command-line utilities use "/" for options, and the Open File dialogue
box rejects "/" altogether, but when you pass a pathname to a system
call, having a "/" in it is perfectly okay -- I do it all the time when
running Java programs, since Java has no Cygwin build.

> I am still jobhunting / trying to keep a roof over my head / avoid
> eviction 2 weeks hence.  I don't have the time to decide what the proper
> design should be.  Additional eyeballing appreciated.

Best of luck and thanks for all your efforts.

--
John Cowan      address@hidden
        "Not to know The Smiths is not to know K.X.U."  --K.X.U.