Re: [Chicken-users] CMake problem on Linux should be solved

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake problem on Linux should be solved
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:14:11 +0200

On 9/8/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

I will admit to being insecure about whether people will adopt my
build.  I know it is a good build, but there are issues of perception
and inertia.  Like whether one build is perceived as more stable, more
tested, or more feature-rich than the other.  You know the old
engineering phrase, "Build it, and they will come."  Which really means,
build it and you'll be ignored.  I've never shipped anything with my
name on it that a large audience ended up using.  I've tried; this is
pretty much my "Three Times 'A Charm" project.

You're build will be adopted - it's in Chicken now, and it will be the default
build setup, with the autoconf stuff being backup. Once I've tested the build
myself on Windows, makefile.vc will be gone (and I'm not saying that
I don't trust the build, but I need a working Windows version to be
able to fix nasty
compiler/runtime bugs).

Everybody is sick of autotools, even though it works most of the time.
And CMake has the potential of becoming a standard tool.

Anyways you're easygoing, Felix.  I'm just staying that rapid
development does create technical stress.  Which then can turn into
personal stress, for anyone attached to Chicken.  In commercial
development, people get paid to take the stress.  I think the level of
stress that open source developers can take is much lower, systemically
speaking.  I mean, when there's money, you can keep a large team going,
put people through certain degrees of pain, and they'll just grind it
out for their paychecks.  But in open source, when people's pain
threshold is exceeded, people just leave.  And they leave quietly more
often than they leave noisily.  So for getting a project to grow bigger,
with more long-term committed developers, the level of technical stress
does matter.  Sure in principle everyone could - should? - "suck it up"
and not complain.  But in practice, a project lead might end up saying,
hm, why am I not attracting more developers?

Yes, this sounds familiar...

I need to decide the level of technical stress I can sustain.  For now,
I've decided to go into "passive" rather than active mode.  I will let
bugs sit around for a week before I look at them, instead of acting like
a crisis response team.  Maybe someone else will solve them meanwhile.

No problem. I'd be happy to handle CMake
related things, If I'd just understand more of it.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp