Re: [Chicken-users] Coming to Scheme from Python.

From: Joerg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Coming to Scheme from Python.
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:14:41 +0200 (CEST)

Steve Freitas wrote:
> I wonder if there's been any movement on porting Termite from Gambit
> to Chicken. If you're willing to cast your problem in an
> Erlang-style light, that could make for very high multicore
> performance indeed. Just spawn some child processes and start
> tossin' your functions at them.

Porting Termite will not exactly help here.  Termite (on gambit)
allows you to manually transfer objects from host to host, where host
is a OS process.  On multicore machines you still have to run one host
per processor.  Then you would be left with *manually* controlling
object transfer and distribution.

Gambit-C, chicken, rscheme (I don't know about Java???) and many other
user level threading systems simly share the problem: user mode
threads are fast, but don't scale with multiple cores.  Usually that's
a memory management issue (Felix should know) which doesn't go away by
any amount of code in the language.  Needed is a n:m mapping from user
level threads to system threads running the chicken VM (runtime).