Re: [Chicken-users] chicken scheme on handhelds

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken scheme on handhelds
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:35:49 -0500

Shawn Rutledge scripsit:

> Ideally the Scheme compiler would run fast on a handheld, and just in
> case it's not fast enough, it would also be possible to cross-compile
> Scheme to an ARM binary, on a PC.  So far gcc is a tad slow on an ARM
> (but not too terrible - I do actually use it; maybe it's like running
> x86 gcc on a 386); and I don't think cross-compiling is practical, is
> it?

Cross-compiling is eminently practical.  Use csc -t to generate the
C files and cross-compile them with gcc on your host machine.  Chicken
does not generate different versions of C for different target machines,
so there's no problem there.

--
If you understand,                      John Cowan
   things are just as they are;         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan