Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:20:52 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 1/8/07, Peter Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> Found it:
> http://progetti.arstecnica.it/tailor
> http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor
> Now, how mature should I believe it to be?

It's just an apt-get install away, so why don't you just give it a try and
tell us what you think about it?

It's written in Python, so I did download it to my Windows 2000 primary development box, and I looked at the README.

From my own experience with tailor, I'd say it's not ready yet.
I tried to convert a darcs repo to mercurial without success. The
documentation is relatively sparse, so it's possible that I made
some mistake.

What does Tailor need to be "ready for?"

I don't think Peter is asking for two-way Darcs <--> Mercurial or Darcs <--> Subversion synchronization. That would be suicide even if it all worked perfectly. For our current size of project, core development with 2 version control systems + a glue program is pointless complication. Anyone doing enough core development to warrant it, is serious enough to either learn the very few Darcs commands they need, obtain a working Darcs for their marginal platform despite GHC difficulties, work around the difficulties by cross-compiling or sharing a file volume from another OS that actually has Darcs, or put the energy into evaluating and migrating us to Mercurial. I think Peter is asking for faster one-way Darcs --> Subversion mirroring, so that platforms without Darcs can get a more accurate read-only dump of the source pool. Perhaps Tailor can help with that. I don't know what the current mechanism is; it sounds like it is not automated. Peter could dig into that if he wants, whatever the best solution is. I'm sure we could set him up with the needed permissions and administrative contacts.

I'd rather just have people dealing with Darcs. But I recognize the fact that Darcs can't reach everywhere, and I always value people getting "on board" with Chicken in some way, above and beyond any other concern. Recruitment and assigned responsibility is how a project grows. The people that actually do the work, get to pick the tools IMO. Provided it doesn't train wreck everyone else, of course. I don't see any technical risk in fiddling with Darcs --> Subversion mirroring, even if it doesn't fit my social agenda.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every