Re: Re : [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: Re : [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:33:45 -0800

minh thu wrote:

Well, i've tried the opengl egg... what does it lack ?

A window. A mouse. Handling of stupid window redraw events. An OpenGL binding isn't an OpenGL windowing toolkit. You can't actually do anything until you've dealt with that stuff somehow. It's a boring job that everyone has to repeat over and over again. I've been looking at various OpenGL windowing systems, but I've gotten bored.

Also, the OpenGL egg isn't for a modern OpenGL 2.0.

Granted there are problems beyond Chicken here as well.
Build on top of Glew or Glee so that I don't need to do elaborate
function pointer dances on Windows?  Build on FLTK so I don't have to
deal with system-specific windowing issues?  Build on an open source 3D
engine so I don't have to do one from scratch?

Indeed, thoses are identical with other languages, even with c and c++...

Except that in C++, everything is already done. Pointless to roll your own from scratch, if you like C++ just fine.

Again, those decision have to be dealt with even if you choose another language.
What do you want that is specific (or so) to chicken ?

3D scene graphs and scripting would be much better in Chicken. You could compile your scripts. You'd never have to worry about whether you're doing stuff "in C++ or the scripting language." Just one language for everything.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every