Re: [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 00:05:48 -0700

On 2/2/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Some people actually use Scheme as part of their commercial business
model.  But they are few and far between.  Their economic results are
not easily reproduced by most people.  Whereas anyone can learn C++,
Java, and C# and then go make money.

I actually worked for a couple years at a company that makes money
using Scheme.  They use Chez for a couple of very specific
vertical-market applications, and not very simple ones either.  The
compiler was wonderful - very fast and produced tight code, directly
from scheme to machine code.  But it's very proprietary, and the
graphics support basically sucked and looked dated (it's based on TK).
It worked just well enough to get the job done, graphics-wise, but
otherwise it was a good fit, and that job was what got me into Scheme
(after having used Lisp for just one course at the university, and
never again after).  I enjoyed the coding, but (somewhat reluctantly)
left to get a bigger salary and better working environment...

The end-users didn't know or care what language it was written in - it
was just a Windows .exe file that happened to put up a funky-looking
UI.  :-)

If there were a nice portable (Windows, X/GTK or QT, MacOS) widget
library that isn't a hassle to use, I'd use Scheme in my present job
too, for a couple of simple internal-use-only applications that need
to be written one of these days.  I would want the same result - be
able to make a standalone .exe on Windows.  Using native widgets on
each OS would be a plus, too.