Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:36:11 +0100

On 2/5/07, Toby Butzon <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/4/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a good deal of Qt experience, a bit of FLTK and generally not
> enough resources to create this on my own (surprise!). I also am unable
> to do any windows-related coding.

Why not build on top of something like wxwidgets?

wxWidgets would be another suitable backend. But wxWidgets itself
is quite a massive thing, has bugs (depending the the platform) and
is just one possible option. I tihnk by supporting multiple native
toolkits, deployment and portability is actually simplified and improved.

Every toolkit has i's own quirks, dependencies and bugs. By using what
is available, we wouldn't force a particular library on the user, and users
with specialized needs (easy deployment, game developers, embedded
systems) can pick what they prefer. I agree if that means slightly more
stressful maintenance and that's why I think our toolkit should be simple
and small.

Again, this shouldn't be the mother of all GUIs - just a basic layer to get
work done with.