Re: [Chicken-users] SXML tutorial draft

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SXML tutorial draft
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:33:48 +0100

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 01:55:46PM +0300, Dmitry Lizorkin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What a good tutorial! Thank you for taking your time and effort for
> developing illustrative tutorial examples and for presenting all this.

Thank you!  I found the existing documentation to be severely lacking.
It isn't clear and is scattered around Oleg's site.  I'm sure he means
well, but it isn't really easy to find out how to use SXML if you're
a complete newbie.

> [begin quote]
>           xml:lang="en" lang="en">
> (html (@ (xmlns "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";)
>                 (xml:lang "en") (lang "en"))
>   ...)
> [end quote]
>
> You are obviously aware of a different XML namespace handling mechanism
> accepted in SXML. As far as I understand, namespaces consideration is not
> significant for the primary subject of your tutorial. Would it be a good
> idea to make namespace declarations  consistent for X(HT)ML and SXML in your
> examples?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I assume you are referencing to the
*NAMESPACES* annotations for *TOP*.

I didn't include such "difficult" namespace declarations because, as you
correctly observed, this is not interesting for the beginner.  It also
requires us to write quite a bit of boilerplate transformations to get
rid of the *TOP* and *NAMESPACES* "elements" in the output.  There's no
clear advantage of using this facility, and as the tutorial shows, you can
get by without just fine if you only output XML.  Only when you start mixing
SXML from different sources does this become important.

It is important to produce correct documents, though, and for this purpose
the reader can just read these attributes of the html element as "required",
but they don't need to understand what they do.

I'm really just getting started with SXML, so if I'm wrong on any of this,
please correct me.  That's the reason I published a draft first, so people
can correct me :)

Regards,
Peter
--