Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:34:40 +0100

On 2/7/07, Daniel Sadilek <address@hidden> wrote:
> Fully understandable, but Qt is big and I fear that a complete wrapper
> will end up as a huge lump that has continuously be maintained (to stay
> complete). The qt egg is explicitly meant as a lightweight facility for
> exploiting the meta-object protocol of Qt - sort of an experiment (but
> still quite useful).

Hm, I think a "cross-platform gui toolkit" is a big thing anyway?
Let's assume you want a lighwight GUI toolkit. You said, you want to
accomplish the platform independency by implementing your API against
different existing platform specific toolkits. I suppose that approach
will take as least as much effort as when you implement your API
against QT, because the platform independency is encapsulated in it.

You may be right there: but with support for a couple of toolkits, you gain one
very important thing: improved independence regarding platforms and
libraries.

Last but not least: Couldn't the meta-object protocol of QT actually
help to write a wrapper that is not as fragile regarding changes of QT
as wrappers for other toolkits regarding their changes?

Right, too. Really, "targeting" Qt(4) is a perfectly reasonable
choice. Actually,
I have no clue what's the best option - but I fear committing to one particular
toolkit.