Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:12:55 -0400

Hello, Pierre,

   Thanks for the feedback. Regarding eggdoc: I had not specified
eggdoc as a dependency for chicken-setup, so it was not getting
installed. This has been fixed and committed in the egg repository.

   I decided to allow the functions to mutate their arguments in order
to be consistent with the original ATLAS/LAPACK functions. I can just
as easily change the Chicken wrappers to allocate new vectors and copy
their arguments, or if there are concerns about efficiency, I can
create two sets of functions -- "fast" functions that mutate their
arguments, and "slow" functions that allocate return vectors. What do
you think about that? I do actually have a disclaimer in the
documentation, that the input matrices are mutated, but I agree that
more thought needs to be put in that.

   You are right about returning multiple values -- it is redundant if
the arguments to the function are mutated. You would use something like:

  (let-values (((a b)  (atlas-lapack:dgesv order n nrhs a b)))

     ...do stuff...

but perhaps that's not necessary, if the function changes its
arguments.

   -Ivan