Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:57:22 -0700

On May 17, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Brandon Van Every wrote:

<snip>

I wouldn't expect the Automake build to perform any better either, as once upon a time I lifted the CStackGrowsDownward.c code from Automake's output. It probably uses the same try-run mechanism to determine the results. And if it doesn't, I'd like to know how, so that CMake can copy it. Can you actually make a universal binary with Automake? With XCode?

XCode doesn't need to discover anything for universal binaries, it knows.

Chicken's build attempts to discover things about the build platform, rather than "knowing."

Compiling a universal binary is an exercise in x-compiling. Chicken cannot discover anything about the foreign platform, it must "know." All cpu specific configuration must be done via command-line options or a separate set of configuration headers.

I am not saying "discover" bad, "know" good. Just that in the case of x-compiling "knowing" is the only way.

(BTW, Brandon I will get back to the CMake build on MacOS X PPC. Sorry, I need get some bugs fixed in other code first.

The problem seems to be an issue w/ the extra-symbol-slot. Even though I turned on this options w/ ccmake, & the resulting 'csi' says it has 'extraslot', using an extension compiled w/ the autotools generated Chicken yields the undefined variable '|????|', which I think is an indication of an incompatible memory model.

I completely removed Chicken, got a fresh darcs, got a snapshot (for the boot/cfiles, which are not in the darcs repo!), built out-of-dir, installed, uninstalled, installed. No change.)

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every