[Chicken-users] Choosing chicken

From: Shawn W .
Subject: [Chicken-users] Choosing chicken
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:40:10 -0700

I like scheme a lot. It's one of my two favorite programming languages for things that don't force me to use a specific language.

One of schemes strengths is also a weak point -- because the core language is so small and (Mostly) easy to implement, there are approximately fifty thousand implementations, all different, especially when it comes to adding useful things not in R4RS or R5RS -- like a module/library system, file manipulation beyond opening and closing, sockets, and so forth. Over the last couple of years the SRFI process has really helped, but it's still difficult to write code that runs on more than a handful of different schemes if you want to stray beyond what the standard defines in way of available functions.

I've pretty much settled on chicken as my general-purpose scheme implementation, for a variety of reasons (Easy to use, good support, large user base and lots of available extensions, the core comes with a large enough set of units to make unix programming easy, great integration with C), but realistically, for the things I've been using it for (Mostly text processing, but I've been playing around with spiffy and ssp), there's no real reason, say scsh, rscheme or MIT scheme (Hmm. Maybe not. Looking at its web site, it only really supports x86 computers... of which I have none up and running.) or others wouldn't work just as well. For more specific tasks, some schemes are better suited than others -- if you want good java integration instead of C, you'll want kawa. If you want a small extension language for an existing program written in something besides scheme, tinyscheme or guile come to mind. To get screaming fast numeric code.... stalin. And so on.

I looked around a bit and couldn't find an up-to-date comparison of the major, common scheme implementations, much less a guide giving suggested schemes to try if you want to write a program to do X. So, I think I'm going to try to write up such a beast. So, some questions, since I want other people's views, and since there are schemes I haven't looked at:

What schemes do you use, for what? Why? Know of a nifty feature or approach a particular scheme takes that most others don't? What do you think a particular version (Including chicken, of course) is best suited for?

Thanks.

--
Shawn W.
address@hidden