Re: [Chicken-users] chicken and stalin

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken and stalin
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 17:36:17 -0400

On 6/5/07, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> This goes far beyond games on Windows.  This is about people
> completely wasting their time on projects that, if they have no
> academic context, are completely worthless.  I've gone bankrupt
> chasing nonsense.  I have delusions of grandeur that I *might* save
> some young buck from his/her utter cluelessness in the face of
> industrial reality.

Brandon, your penchant for getting involved in long, useless polemics is
NOT a quality.

Dispelling complacency is the only way you ever *get* any quality.

Also, you may want to be more cautious when judging the
difficulty level of various software platforms, especially when you
haven't really tried using them.

I think it's pretty well established that Stalin (and Gambit?) are
faster than Chicken, but Chicken has a much better ecosystem (community,
libraries etc).

I just brushed up on what's out there for Stalin.  Seems like it's
whatever's on the Stalin FTP site, which is pretty narrow in focus.

If you see people interested in Stalin, I'm pretty sure
they know the deal they're getting. You're not adding value by trying to
convince them otherwise;

I don't expect the average language noob to have any idea why
academics avoid doing certain things.  Nor do I expect most people to
have a sense of relevant strategic growth in open source.  What I do
expect, is for people to get carried away with "Wow it's fast!"
because it sounds so kewl.  Yes I have a low opinion of people's
actual ability to steward open source projects to a successful
conclusion.  It comes from 14 years of experience watching the
fireworks and falling on my own face more than enough times.

I'll repeat what I said before.  If Stalin is so great, then someone
go start a Stalin community.  That's what needs to happen for it to be
relevant.

and they certainly won't appreciate your
suggestion that you know better what's good for them.

People who are smart enough to learn from others' experience will pay
attention.  People who aren't, will suffer until they are.

Let's stick to discussions that provide value to all participants.

That's never generally true on any mailing list.  Clearly you don't
value this one.

Keep
in mind that when you feel like belaboring a random point to death, you
can always reply in private.

This discussion isn't random.  As for belabored, it reminds me of the
joke about 2 economists.  They're walking down Wall Street and there's
a $20 bill on the ground.  One of them exclaims to the other, "Look, a
$20 bill!"  The other says, "No that's impossible, someone would have
picked it up already" and they go right on walking.

You think everyone's well aware of the implications of support.  I don't.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every