Re: [Chicken-users] stable version?

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] stable version?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:11:01 -0700

On 9/21/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since we (I) are (am) a lazy bum trying to cut down the work related to
> creating
> releases, I (we...ahem) decided to stop creating official
> stable releases. The current distribution tarball is from now on autogenerated
> from the latest svn sources.

That's cool, but it makes me wonder what the strategy will become for
Linux distros.  At the time the maintainer updates the ebuild for
example, he should test the latest version at that time, then use that
version explicitly?  So then Gentoo ends up with a different "stable"
version (chosen arbitrarily) than other distros.  (There could be a
different ebuild that always tracks the latest version.)  And what if
there are any experimental changes that later are abandoned?

If you have a feeling that a particular version is particularly
stable, and is the last such before some potentially disturbing
changes, you could just make a link maybe?  (a symlink from
dev-snapshots/whatever-version to stable/version, or just a hyperlink
on the front page to that version)

It would be nice if there were auto-generated "stable" Windows (and
Mac) binaries too.  It's just make PLATFORM=cross-linux-mingw for
Windows, right?