Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl

From: Glen Foy
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:06:59 -0500

On Dec 3, 2007, at 3:27 AM, felix winkelmann wrote:

On Nov 29, 2007 8:00 PM, Glen Foy <address@hidden> wrote:

The link no longer exists.  Has anyone done any further work on this?

Sorry, Glen, but it seems I've lost this. It wasn't much code, though and
should be easy to put together.

No problem.

I've taken a brief look at Rick Taube's Grace application and
some code Kon Lovett sent my way.  Chicken is built into Grace
and runs as a separate process in Kon's code.

The Grace editor is quite emacs-like.  With some tweaking it
could be a good coding editor.

I would be inclined to steal Rick's code (with his permission) and
use it as the basis of some GUI-based chicken tools.  The only
problem is that Grace/Juce is a Carbon application, and Carbon
is probably on the way out.  Apple is ruthless when it comes to
orphaning old technologies.

Would some of the more experienced hens like to comment on
this and also on the relative advantages of embedding Chicken
or running it as a separate process? What would be the ideal
Chicken GUI?

-Glen

PS:  I would recommend that everyone take a look at Grace:

http://pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/grace/doc/scheme.html