Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl

From: Todd Ingalls
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 08:59:42 -0700

just a word on juce and carbon. most of juce is not dependent on carbon and if one looks at juce/build/macosx/platform_specific_code in the source distribution this is the code that would need to be ported if carbon got totally yanked. i am not suggesting this is simple, is a relatively small portion of the juce code base. since objective-c and c++ can be mixed quite easily it would seem to me that this would be doable (of course not being the one who would do that it is rather easy for me to say). i know this issue has been brought up on the juce forum as well.

i have heard a lot of speculation about this idea of dropping Carbon. I wonder what companies who have big carbon apps (think photoshop, Max/MSP) are doing?

Of course, the nice thing about juce is the cross-platform nature which seems less complex than wxWidgets or other frameworks we looked at.

PS. This is not to say I wouldn't love to see a chicken environnment done as a cocoa app. I have some things I have worked on in learning Cocoa and Objective-c which do simple embedding of chicken and it was quite simple. It would seem to me that some really nice integration could happen.