Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl

From: Rick Taube
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:24:13 -0600

I would be inclined to steal Rick's code (with his permission) and
use it as the basis of some GUI-based chicken tools.

yes our code (its todd's code as much as mine!) is available and you dont need permission. of course we would love to fold back in whatever improvements are made (like using chicken regexp to supporting syntax highlighting rather than what we have...)

The only
problem is that Grace/Juce is a Carbon application, and Carbon
is probably on the way out.  Apple is ruthless when it comes to
orphaning old technologies.

JUCE is used by large companies (Mackie etc) for delivering apps so I cannot believe that Jules would drop OS X if, in fact, carbon goes away.

The great advantage of JUCE is that it works well on windows, osx and linux, exactly where chicken runs. its also an incredibly well thought out environment.

Would some of the more experienced hens like to comment on
this and also on the relative advantages of embedding Chicken
or running it as a separate process?

the Grace app actually has socket-based code if you want to communicate like that (its how we can talk to common lisp, this code is in Lisp.cpp) for us the only good thing about socket communication is that you can run a remote sever somewhere and interact with it, or have multiple people interact with a single executing envronment. other than that, its a pain, and building scheme into the app makes things alot tighter, faster, easier. but there is no reason you couldnt support both styles in the same app at the same time, ie provide a menu that connects over a socket if you need to...