Re: [Chicken-users] can not coerce inexact literal - coerced inexact lit

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] can not coerce inexact literal - coerced inexact literal - benchmarks game
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:21:44 -0800 (PST)

are they faster?  on my build of chicken on an ancient and rotting p3, the
times were around 10% slower than those listed on the site.  bearing in mind
that the shootouts run on decently high end unencumbered machines....

are they better scheme?  probably not.  they do incorporate lots of little
chicken-specific optimisations though. several of them started life as modifications to what other people had already submitted coupled with profiling and testing alternate means of implementation (example: for the dataset given, is it faster to use non-tail-call loop style or to write
functions taking advantage of tails?  is using fold a win?  etc.)

'better' scheme is an almost-totally-subjective concept. i like my style. i like other peoples styles as well. if code is readable and efficient, then who is to say whats better? i devoted some time to the shootout a while ago when i first started getting involved with chicken, partially because scheme is woefully underrepresented and mostly cause i like chicken and wanted to learn its intricacies. the benchmarks seemed like a good way
to give something back to the developers. :)  so, the code may be faster
because it was a testing ground for me, but its not necessarily 'better'.

after i get the current chicken version built, ill dig up the files, retest
em, and submit them to the shootout, if its oke with felix and the various
people who have previously submitted benchmarks.

-elf