Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A few questions

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: A few questions
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:38:52 -0500

Elf scripsit:

> i was bringing up the case-lambda and parameters as being special cases
> of forms with the number of required args not necessarily the same as
> the maximum number of args, ie its  'rest?' but its not a true rest,
> in that only certain values are valid arities.

Well, sure.  But there are lots of Scheme procedures written like that: it's
by no means always the case that a procedure with a rest parameter accepts
an arbitrary number of arguments.  Case-lambda is just a way of formalizing
that with a little error checking.

In any case, figuring out how many of its arguments a procedure examines
is equivalent to solving the halting problem, alas.

> im fundamentally opposed to returning with call-with-values any more than
> absolutely required.

It's never *absolutely* required; one can always return a list.  So I
don't know what you mean here.

--
John Cowan <address@hidden>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver