Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in SRFI-13 lib?

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in SRFI-13 lib?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:55:33 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:

So, it isn't intentionally that way, it's just what the code does.

Thanks for clearing that up.

By the way, I want to say that I really wasn't looking for an argument. My initial question was a bit abrupt, and I was too quick to use the word "bug." I think there's a bit of culture shock going on here, too -- most of my programming in the last 4 years or so has been in OCaml. One of the main reasons I became interested in Scheme (again) was that I came to think that static typing is overrated -- or at least, not as universally useful as its advocates like to believe. Nonetheless, I've gotten accustomed to a world where datatypes are used very precisely to model the semantics of your problem domain. So when I see a function behaving in a way that implies semantics that aren't in the spec, it just doesn't feel right. Even if I know it's not really a problem in practice.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :