Re: [Chicken-users] aliases in the wiki

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] aliases in the wiki
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:08:27 +0100

Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
I have tweaked a bit the code in Svnwiki a bit to support defining aliases for functions in the wiki. My thinking is that (1) for all procedures f, http://chicken.wiki.br/f should return something useful, regardless of where f is defined and (2) we shouldn't have to duplicate information in the wiki.

I agree 100%, but I think this should be done automatically, see my post about automatic index generation from the <proc> tags.

in those cases in which we have collisions, we can simply create a page listing the multiple possible meanings, something along the lines of:

FormatThere are the following pages about this:* Eggs:
 - format
 - format-modular
* Procedures:
 - format at the format-modular egg

Again, I don't think it should be done by hand, as the potential for mistakes and omissions is huge. Automatic generation will be easy to implement, if/when we tag every procedure definition.

For the egg pages we would simply prefix them (so format-modular would become egg-format-modular)

This I'm not so sure about, because sometimes you remember the name of a procedure but not its egg, and because usually eggs become part of the domain-specific language you assemble to solve your problem, after which you don't care much anymore which egg the procedures came from.

Tobia