Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken For Ruby Programmers

From: Mark Fredrickson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken For Ruby Programmers
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:06:27 -0600

Hi Raymond,

I've added my 1st draft presentation outline:

https://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/cgi-bin/svnwiki/default/chicken-for-ruby-programmers

This is just my rambling thoughts on what my Ruby group might be interested in.

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:37 PM, raymond medeiros wrote:
I actually have a profile page. Well specific correlations between languages would be good, I think for this document it would be best to show how things like
map work in ruby and in scheme.

Agreed. I think showing how Ruby knowledge is immediately applicable in Scheme is a good tack to take. For example, Hash.new is like (make- hash-table).

There are a few articles out there under various names you might want to read up on. Search for "functional programming in ruby" and also "ruby lisp". I was thinking something along those lines, because we can relate those paradigms in both languages. Also what i'd like to see is emphasis on meta-programming in Ruby vs meta-programming in lisp. That's just off the top of my head.

While I don't disagree that showing off metaprogramming would be useful, I think I may focus on more "immediate" task needs: shell scripting, regexes, various object systems, eggs vs. gems. I think this balance of quick-start, immediate needs with a higher level idiom and meta-programming comparison would make a very strong introduction. Divide and conquer!

something else to consider, would it be prudent to create an introductory tutorial on spiffy/web-unity/mettle and show how one might pursue web development for
people who currently use a framework like RoR?

Certainly. It's not my area of expertise, but perhaps we can draft some more individuals. I think such a tutorial could have more value if it also addressed other web frameworks such as Struts or CakePHP.

Cheers,
-M