Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?

From: Jeremy Sydik
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Unfair question: best Lisp for web development?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:29:28 -0600

I haven't had any problems with using Chicken for web development (mind you, I'm using a custom framework instead of spiffy and I'm not using XHR so YMMV -- the ajax egg does provide access to XHR though). As far as "which lisp", I'd say to just pick one to work with
and, since you are most comfortable with Chicken, use Chicken.

The only counter I can give is that, if your intended app needs some access to a library that's already implemented for you in another lisp and you'd rather not reimplement yourself, you MIGHT consider the other lisp. That said, I've needed PDF generation and a replacement SHA-1 for projects and had very little problem linking into libharu via FFI for the PDF and writing a basic implementation of SHA-1, so even
that isn't necessarily a compelling reason.

The big lesson at the end of the day, I think, is that remembering that you're better off with lisp than without lisp -- spending your time worrying about which lisp you SHOULD BE using is time that you're not spending WRITING lisp and getting
more skilled with the lisp you ARE using.

--Jeremy