Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:22:43 +0900

    Ivan>   This will require rewriting the garbage
    Ivan> collector, not to mention all the other
    Ivan> complications that arise from introducing
    Ivan> threads. We had a discussion about this at some
    Ivan> point in January, I think.

I'm not so sure this really would be an intractable amount
of work.  What I am pretty sure of is that it would be a bad
idea though.

As you said, the semaphore/mutex thread model is broken.
Computer Science has advanced a lot since then, and there
are new concurrency models which are just as fast and easier
to program in.  Erlang is well known for its extremely high
performance, yet this model can be implemented just as
easily with multi-processes as with multi-threads (in fact,
since there would be no need to sync the GC or other global
state it may well be faster as processes).  And if
implemented as processes you can easily extend to multiple
machines, which is a *much* bigger win.

--
Alex