Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] google summer of code
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:11:07 +0000

On 7 Mar 2008, at 5:01 pm, Graham Fawcett wrote:

On reflection, I'd much rather see a really efficient IPC system like
this, rather than having a native-threaded Chicken.

Yep. The overheads (mainly in terms of complexity!) of native threads
are well avoided.

Other than for concurrent designs, I think there is a case for native
threads when I/O is involved.

Possibly, as an implementation detail - something buried in the C
runtime layer, used on platforms that don't have good enough non-
blocking I/O facilities, or for using external C libraries that block
the whole process without asking (cf. recent readline gripes)? All in
the native C layer, the i/o thread(s) would only transiently hold
references to things, and could register them with the GC as being
held by an i/o thread before being passed them, and unregistered
afterwards, etc.

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym