Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ditching syntax-case modules for the utf8 egg
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:26:30 -0400

Graham Fawcett scripsit:

> Just curious, whence the 'restricted' terminology? I would have
> thought 'utf8 and raw/byte strings' since that's the practical
> implication.

Restricted strings are restricted to holding characters between #\x0
and #\xFF.  Unrestricted strings can hold any character between #\x0
and #x\u10FFFF.  Chicken characters in fact go up to #x\u1FFFFF.
This says nothing about implementation, just interface.

Byte vectors, as distinct from restricted strings, hold integers in the
range 0 to 255.

--
One Word to write them all,             John Cowan <address@hidden>
  One Access to find them,              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan