Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: An alternative thread system?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:13:51 +0900

  Guys, I am glad to see that old flame wars never die ;-) Pipes used
to be slow back in the day, around the time when forking and context
switching was slow. Nowadays, modern kernels rely extensively on
zero-copy techniques, and I am pretty sure that Linux has had
zero-copy pipes since at least the 2.4 series. Passing data between
threads may be as simple as an assignment, but it almost never is. In
practice, you always end up having some complicated synchronization
protocol. Why not let the OS handle that for you?

  -Ivan