Re: [Chicken-users] using the compiler at runtime

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] using the compiler at runtime
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:25:42 +0100

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Felix Lange <address@hidden> wrote:

> thank you very much,
>
> this isn't really what i had in mind, but it gets the job done.

Ok, could you describe in more detail what you need? As I said,
some variation of the given code is probably what you require.

> <rant>
> csc.scm already has (run-compilation) and (run-translation), though these
> would need to be
> refactored to take arguments and not depend on global variables.
> writing compile-file would be a snap, then, but modularising the
> implementation of csc probably
> isn't a simple task. same goes for chicken.scm, the code isn't separated
> into interface and implementation.
> i'd throw myself in as a volunteer....
> </rant>

The chicken code itself is not intended to compile more than one file, it
keeps too much global state, which is fine for a batch compiler. So,
invoking chicken as a subprocess is the only solution that works. The code
in csc is not particularly complicated - please feel free to cut out what
you need.

> is anything like this planned for chicken 4?

No. Chicken is a batch-compiler, and that model is not going to change.
There are various hacks possible (like using tcc (would need a working
alloca(3)),
butt hey create other subtle complications (re-loading of compiled code,
linking issues, etc.).