Re: [Chicken-users] Build Failure (maybe infinite recursion) on x86_64

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Build Failure (maybe infinite recursion) on x86_64 Linux
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:46:03 +0100

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Taylor Venable <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have no direct evidence that it was an infinite recursion.  It was
> just a guess by the symptoms, but admittedly I have little knowledge
> of Chicken's internals.  Sorry for the noise on that.  The symptoms
> are that CPU usage increases to max, memory usage increases steadily,
> and the process appears to hang.

Oh, it may very well be a recursion. I was just asking in case there
is anything that points into that direction, to give us a hint at what's
going wrong here.

> Adding "-debug p" produces no output, even when removing "-quiet".
> When I remove "-no-trace" and add "-debug p" it also fails in the same
> way.  But when I remove both "-no-trace" and "-debug p" it works.  So
> it fails when "-no-trace" and/or "-debug p" is specified, but works OK
> when neither is specified.

Hm... What happens if you add "-:d" and/or "-:s500k" (or "-:s1m")?
It is possible that different stack settings influence the behaviour.
Is chicken-boot built with -g ? If not, could you add it and run it
under gdb, producing a backtrace by interrupt the program if it
hangs? Sorry, but this is likely to need quite a lowlevel approach.

Another option is to give me temporary access to your machine.