[Chicken-users] Maintaining my eggs in a separate repository

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: [Chicken-users] Maintaining my eggs in a separate repository
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 22:12:56 +0100

For what it's worth, in the course of the next few days I will be
copying the code of the eggs I have authored and their wiki pages to a
separate repository, which I will start treating as the canonical
development location.

This includes the following eggs:

content-type
file-mirror
format-modular
html-plots
html-stream
iconv
orders
srfi-40
stream-base64
stream-cgi
stream-ext
stream-flash
stream-flash-tree-map
stream-htpasswd
stream-httplog
stream-ldif
stream-parser
stream-sections
stream-wiki
svn-post-commit-hooks
svnwiki-archives
svnwiki-atom
svnwiki-chicken
svnwiki-contributor
svnwiki-discuss
svnwiki-edit
svnwiki-edit-question
svnwiki-enscript
svnwiki-extensions
svnwiki-folksonomy
svnwiki-gallery
svnwiki-gettext
svnwiki-glossary
svnwiki-googlemap
svnwiki-image
svnwiki-inline-edit
svnwiki-javascript
svnwiki-links
svnwiki-mail
svnwiki-math
svnwiki-metadata
svnwiki-nowiki
svnwiki-progress
svnwiki-rating
svnwiki-scheme
svnwiki-tags
svnwiki-translations
svnwiki-upload
svnwiki-weblog

I worked hard (with help from Mario and Felix) to try to make the
Chicken Eggs repository serve as the central development location for
most authors of Chicken extensions.  Ironically, it doesn't really
serve this purpose for me any longer.

I feel the same about the Chicken wiki.  Some time ago I thought I
would start using it as the canonical location for the documentation
of my code and even the code itself (I'm starting to embed all my code
inside wiki pages from which I automatically extract it, see
http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/xc or
http://chicken.wiki.br/eggref/3/stream-ext for examples).  I won't be
maintaining separate wiki pages for the same egg (in different
locations in eggref/); I feel it significantly undermines the point of
the wiki.

I will be creating a separate repository of Scheme code, where I will
be maintaining all my code, probably with some scripting to
semi-automatically dump it to the Chicken Eggs repository.  I will be
treating the Chicken Eggs repository (both release/* and wiki/*)
simply as a mechanism to make my code easy to deploy in Chicken, which
is the direction in which I feel this repository is being taken by
recent (and not-so recent) changes.

I will, of course, continue to maintain Svnwiki and support Chicken on
it.  I will, however, start reducing the dependencies that the code I
author has on Chicken (for instance, by removing certain
Chicken-specific optimizations).  These optimizations can be added
directly to the versions in the Chicken Eggs repository if someone
feels like maintaining them.

Furthermore, since I will be maintaining my documentation and code in
my own repository/wiki, chances are that I won't be updating the
Chicken Svnwiki installation as often as before.  I will, however,
continue to provide access to all my source code.  I will also welcome
others to host their code in my repository, if they feel so inclined.

Thanks.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/