Re: [Chicken-users] no soname

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] no soname
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:16:54 +0100

felix winkelmann wrote:
I wonder what's the point of enforcing use of soname, if (for example) header-files are usually not versioned. What if you want to install a chicken.h 3 and 4 alongside each other?

I believe it's a matter of end user support.

A developer who wants to build against chicken 3 or 4 will install the right -dev package, which forces removal of the other versions. But this is a developer-only process and a developer is supposed to either be working with version 3 or with version 4 at a time.

The purpose of soname is supporting end users who want to install and use binary packages built against different major versions of the library, alongside each other.

IMHO

Tobia