[Chicken-users] Clojure

From: bill
Subject: [Chicken-users] Clojure
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:12:17 -0400

Hi all,

I'm curious. Has anyone in the Chicken community looked at Clojure - the new Lisp-like language that ties in to the JVM? I spent some time with it last week and found it not quite ready for prime time. (I think it's more Java than Lisp)

It got me thinking, however. Java is a complex abomination, but it does have one thing in it's favor - the JVM and the endless libraries you'll find there. Whenever I tell people how great Chicken Scheme is they always come back to me with the same agrument they use against Lisp - it just doesn't have the breadth of libraries needed in the real world. There are a lot of eggs, but not some key ones (PNG and GTK for instance)

How do we change this and compete with the ideas behind Clojure and Scala? Scheme is a much better language.

Bill