Re: [Chicken-users] Bignums in core

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bignums in core
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 00:01:39 -0400

Kon Lovett scripsit:

> Not sure what is desired. I am guessing the full numeric tower is the
> real concern.

No, I see no need to smuggle the full tower in by the back door.
What I'd like to see is the Chicken core (FFI and all) migrated from
pure fixnum+flonum to fixnum+flonum+bignum, providing unlimited exact
integers plus IEEE double floats.  If even tiny Chibi Scheme can do that,
so can Chicken.  In fact, Chibi's routines are BSD-licensed and would
be easy to adapt to Chicken.

> integer flonum limit of +-9007199254740992 should be good for awhile.

Sure, in contexts where people feel comfortable using inexact numbers.
But having to use them for file positions is a kludge.

--
John Cowan   address@hidden  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is