Re: [Chicken-users] utf8 egg and byte-* procedures

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] utf8 egg and byte-* procedures
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:56:18 -0300

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 04:26:32PM -0400, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hi Jeronimo

Hi Mario!

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:20:43 -0300 Jeronimo Pellegrini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I have checked the egg source and indeed, the redefinitions are
> > there (this is from utf8.scm):
> >
> > (import (rename (except scheme
> >                         string string->list list->string string-fill!
> >                         string-ref string-set! write-char read-char)
> >                 (make-string make-byte-string)
> >                 (substring byte-substring)
> >                 (string-length byte-string-length) ;; <=== !!!
> >
> > Is there something else I have to do in order to have access to the
> > old procedures?
>
> Actually, as far as I can see, the renaming is for importing, not for
> exporting.  utf8 doesn't export `byte-string-length'.  So, if you want
> `byte-string-length' available as the old `string-length', you can pick
> it from scheme:
>
>     (import utf8)
>     (import (rename scheme (string-length byte-string-length)))

I'm a bit confused... From the documentation it seemed that the older
procedures were jsut renamed for convenience.

Anyway, I tried what you suggested but it didn't work:

#;1> (import utf8)
#;2> (import (rename scheme (string-length byte-string-length)))

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: write-char

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: display

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: read-char

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: string

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: string-fill!

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: substring

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: list->string

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: string->list

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: string-set!

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: string-ref

Warning: re-importing already imported identifier: make-string
#;3> (byte-string-length "áé")
4
#;4> (string-length "áé")

Error: unbound variable: utf8#string-length

    Call history:

    <syntax>        (string-length "áé")
    <eval>      (string-length "áé")    <--
#;4>