Re: [Chicken-users] If anyone wants an RPM version of Chicken Scheme

From: Adam Young
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] If anyone wants an RPM version of Chicken Scheme
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:37:47 -0400

On 04/10/2010 06:35 PM, Jim Ursetto wrote:
Hi,
Out of curiosity what does /usr/lib point to on a Fedora 12 system?

One decision that is was made differently between RedHat and Debian based distributions is how to distinguish between 32bit and 64 bit libraries. ON as 64 bit Red Hat based system, 32 bit libraries go into /usr/lib, and 64bit go into /usr/lib64. I've done both the Debian and Red Hat approaches on this, and think that RH approach leads toi an easier time mixing 32 and 64 bit libraries, but at the expense of a littel bit of surprise in from time to time. You don't usually need to explicelty set libdir to /usr/lib, but I found that if I didn't, the chicken configuration would put stuff into /usr/lib, not /usr/lib64 on my system, and things wouldn't work.

The right thing to do in the specfile is, I think, to put a conditional aroundthe patch application, but it would probably be better to fix the make file. I'll do a little digging and see if I can make that happen, and send in a fix.

Do you have to specify --libdir=/usr/lib64 when you call "./configure" for every single package?