Re: [Chicken-users] If anyone wants an RPM version of Chicken Scheme

From: Adam Young
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] If anyone wants an RPM version of Chicken Scheme
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:50:38 -0400

On 04/12/2010 05:53 PM, Jim Ursetto wrote:
Mixing works fine on Debian, on 64-bit Debian /usr/lib contains the native libraries and lib64 is a symlink to /usr/lib, with lib32/ being a separate directory. This allows apps that expect plain /usr/lib to work normally.

What I'm not clear on is why this is requires a patch in the first place. You specified LIBDIR=/usr/lib64 in your .spec file, as far as I know this should dump all library files into /usr/lib64 not /usr/lib, and if it doesn't maybe there is a bug in the makefile? Can you clarify what happens when you build with LIBDIR=/usr/lib64 (after a make distclean of course).

Look at the patch. The pathc /usr/lib is coded into a scheme source file:csc.scm

(define linking-optimization-options default-linking-optimization-options)

  (define library-dir
!   (prefix "" "lib"
           (if host-mode
               INSTALL_LIB_HOME
               TARGET_LIB_HOME)) )
--- 253,259 ----
(define linking-optimization-options default-linking-optimization-options)

  (define library-dir
!   (prefix "" "lib64"
           (if host-mode
               INSTALL_LIB_HOME
               TARGET_LIB_HOME)) )

I am fairly certain that what I origianlly saw was a problem during the linking stage in that it tried to link with a library in /usr/lib. Thie was non-existant on my system, but possible could have been a 32 bit library if I had that rpm installed.

Note that I had to change this if I just ran make on my Fedora system, not just during the rpm build. There is no ./configure type script that I am missing, is there?