Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 04:19:41 +0200

> From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Chicken-users] define-macro in chicken 4?
> Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 21:44:40 +0200
>
> Hi, Alejo.
>
> > I have some extensions that I would like to migrate to Chicken 4.
> > Many of these depend on define-macro.  Does define-macro work in
> > Chicken 4?  What's my best option for migrating out of Chicken 3?
>
> The best option will be to rewrite the macros to use explicit renaming
> or syntax-rules (it's not that hard). There are hacks to sort of a
> simulation of define-macro, but they will not work correctly with
> the module system due to hygiene issues. I don't know exactly how
> complex the macros are that you want to port, but many people
> on this list, including me, can assist you if there are problems.

OK, I will try my hand at rewriting stream-parser and all my other
eggs to work on Chicken 4.  We'll see how that goes.  I agree that, at
worst, I'll just have to switch evaluations that, before, took place
at compile time, to now take place at run time, but that's not so bad,
not the end of the world.

> > Alejo, seriously wishing he had picked Python, Perl or Java, rather
> > than Chicken, 5 years ago.
>
> It is not necessary to say that.

It makes me sad that something in which I have invested a lot of time
and care, Svnwiki, doesn't work for third parties because of changes
to Chicken outside of my control.  No matter how much I appreciate the
work of you, Mario, Ivan and many others, I sometimes do think Svnwiki
would have greater quality if I had chosen to implement it on some
other platform.  But yes, maybe saying this is not necessary.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/