Re: [Chicken-users] Survey results

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Survey results
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:21:21 +0200

Hi Alan,

* Alan Post <address@hidden> [101025 15:05]:
> I'm personally surprised to see 10% of users running OpenBSD, with
> *BSD combined coming in at 30% of usage.  I would have guessed that
> number to be lower. We have some critical users, namely our single
> MIPS person and the lone FreeBSD, Haiku, and NetBSD people.

Those are indeed loners, but beware that there may be a lot more
people hiding or not reading the ML but using chicken happily on
these systems.

> The cross product of the operating system and cpu architecture usage
> suggests we don't really test enough combinations of os and cpu.
> It's too bad there isn't any ARM platform use.

I know of at least one person using it on ARM but this person did
not reply to the mail.

> Have any of you other OpenBSD users patched your linker to avoid
> spurious warnings of strcat, &c when you link chicken?

I forgot to mention that I have counted the number of installations
of chickens, indeed the # Users column is misleading. Most people
run more than one chicken on more than one machine.

I am one of the OpenBSD users myself and no I haven't bothered
patching the compiler to emit safe variants of strcat etc.

Kind regards,

Christian